Points Based System – PBS Dependant Visa
A PBS (Points Based System) Visa holder who wishes to bring their dependant partner and children (under the age of 18) with them to the UK can do so using the PBS Dependant Visa.
PBS Migrants will generally hold Tier 1 and Tier 2 Visas but can also include Tier 4 Student Visa holders and other categories within the UK Points Based System.
A ‘dependant’ is any of the following:
- your husband, wife or partner
- your child under 18
- your child over 18 if they’re currently in the UK as a dependant.
PBS Dependant Visa Requirements
- Unmarried partners must show that they have lived in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years.
- The relationship must be subsisting and you must intend to live with your partner in the UK.
- A Maintenance Requirement will often need to be met to show that you have sufficient funds available to support yourself. This can be satisfied by an employer certifying the requirement for Tier 2 General visa holders and is not required for PBS Dependant Visa extension applications.
- Children must be under 18, unless extending existing PBS Dependant visas, and not have formed an independent life.
- For children, both parents must either be in the UK or be coming to the UK with the child.
- Certain countries will require applicants to have passed a Tuberculosis Test.
There are a range of PBS Dependant Visa requirements depending on the type of visa held by the primary sponsoring migrant. If you would like to discuss your specific situation then please get in touch.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How long will a PBS Dependant Visa be issued for?
The PBS Dependant visa will usually be granted to the same date that the primary visa holder’s Visa expires.
Does the PBS Dependant Visa lead to British Citizenship?
Yes. After five years in the UK, assuming you meet the requirements, you can apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). One year after this you can apply for British Citizenship. If your partner has already obtained British Citizenship then you can apply as soon as you have been granted ILR without needing to wait one year.
What if my partner gets ILR before I qualify?
You can continue to extend as a PBS Dependant until you qualify for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You should not switch to a Spouse Visa category.