The International Graduates Scheme
The international Graduates Scheme (IGS) will be launched on 1 May 2007. It will replace the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme. It enables non-EEA students who have successfully completed and obtained a degree, Master’s degree, PhD, or postgraduate certificate or diploma on or after 1 May 2007 to work in the UK for up to 12 months upon completion of their studies.
The International Graduates Scheme (IGS) will be launched on 1 May 2007 with the aim of encouraging graduates of UK further or higher education establishments to pursue a career in the United Kingdom. Those who complete their courses on or after 1 May 2007 can apply regardless of the subject they have studied. Those who finished their courses before 1 May 2007 may still apply under the old Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme rules.
IGS is a transitional route which enables students who have studied in the UK to access the labour market and gain work experience in the UK.
During their leave under IGS, participants can take any type of employment or self-employment. If they want to remain here beyond their leave under IGS in order to pursue their career, they can switch into various employment or self-employment categories, if they meet the relevant requirements.
To be granted leave under the scheme, applicants must (amongst other things):
• have successfully completed a relevant course at a recognised or listed UK institution of Higher or Further Education on or after 1 May 2007. A relevant course is:
• a Bachelor’s degree course; OR
• a Master's or PhD course; OR
• a postgraduate certificate or diploma. And must:
• have completed their course in the last 12 months (as shown by the date of expiry of leave as a Student to complete this course)
• intend to work during the period of leave granted under the scheme
• be able to maintain and accommodate themselves and any dependants without recourse to public funds;
• intend to leave the UK at the end of their stay (unless granted leave as a work permit holder, highly skilled migrant, business person, innovator or student).
If you wish to apply or have any queries about the scheme, please get in touch with us.