Skip to content

New English language testing for partners

In June 2010 the government announced plans to introduce compulsory English language tests for all non-European migrants applying to come to the UK to join or marry their settled partner.

26 July 2010

Today the UK Border Agency announced that these plans will be implemented from 29 November 2010. From this date, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English, by taking an English language test with one of our approved test providers.

The new rules will apply to anyone applying as the husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or proposed civil partner of a British citizen or a person settled in this country. They will be compulsory for people applying from within the UK as well as visa applicants from overseas.

Further information about these changes can be found in a written ministerial statement, which you can download from here. More information will be published, including a list of approved test providers, before the change is introduced.