Skip to content

New English language testing for partners

The UK Border Agency has today published a list of approved providers of English language tests for non-European migrants applying to come to the UK to join or marry their settled partner.

On 26 July, the Border Agency announced that English language tests will be compulsory for these migrants from 29 November 2010.

From that date, any migrant who wants to enter or remain in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English, by taking an English language test with one of our approved test providers. The term 'partner' means husband, wife, civil partner, unmarried partner, same-sex partner, fiance(e) or proposed civil partner.

The tests will be compulsory for people applying from within the UK, and for visa applicants from overseas.