UK Ancestry Visa
Commonwealth Citizens who have at least one grandparent who was born in the UK can qualify for the UK Ancestry Visa.
The Ancestry Visa provides the right to live and work in the UK for a period of up to five years. This visa can lead to Settlement and, thereafter, British Citizenship.
Who Can Apply
You can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa if you:
- are a Citizen of a Commonwealth Country;
- are at least 17 years of age at the time of application;
- are applying from outside the UK;
- can prove that at least one of your grandparents was born in the UK;
- are able to and intend to work in the UK.
- can support yourself financially without recourse to public funds.
You can bring your spouse, partner and/or your dependant children with you. They will have permission to remain in the UK for the same time that you can remain in the UK and there are usually no restrictions placed on their ability to work in the UK.
Settlement – Indefinite Leave to Remain
Once you have completed 5 years in the UK you may be able to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain. You will need to meet the usual requirements, including meeting the residency requirements.
Once you have held ILR status for at least 12 months you should be able to apply for British Citizenship by Naturalisation if you meet the qualifying requirements.